Saturday, November 27, 2010

Early Thanksgiving in Scio

Scio, Oregon
Just east of I-5, in the middle of Oregon is the most beautiful countryside I may have ever seen.  I was on my way to niece Suzie Ryan and her fiancée Todd’s farm and ranch at Scio (Sigh-O) .  Boasting the “covered bridge capital of the world” and the “Grass seed capital of the world”, this area of rolling hills and lush green fields of grass is breathtaking…even in winter.   Todd is the third generation to farm the land with cattle and grass seed crops.  Their generous hospitality  in the big old farmhouse was the 2nd annual  Ryan family “pre” Thanksgiving .  Joined by about 20 others, for two days of fun on the farm, we had a traditional turkey dinner  and celebrated Kenny’s birthday too.  They are planning a June wedding and I certainly will return for it in the spring.
Sunday morning, after plenty of coffee I waved good-by to the crowd and headed south.  The Siskiyou mountain passes were dry for the most part with a dusting of snow.  I find these mountains arduous to drive because they never seem to end.   Vanessa did fine on the ups and downs so I drove straight through to Redding, California….the first city on flat ground.  It was just about sunset when my GPS took me to my RV park where I hooked up, made dinner, and watched a DVD of “Dream Girls” .  It sounds like rain on the roof. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment